George's ballroom was host to touring and local bands, and community events from its constuction in 1947 well into the 1970s. The complex included the ballroom, bowling alley, bar and restaurant, and a second floor owner's apartment. George's closed in 1991 and was acquired by the county in a tax forclosure. The property was sold at auction this fall, and the new owner intends to renovate and reopen the complex. The reuse study was funded through a grant from the Minnesota Historical Society and followed their guidelines. Our firm served as the preservation architect for the team headed by Thomas R. Zahn & Associates.
Client: Save George's Ballroom Committee and the City of New Ulm
Date: Study completed 2003